Family Sponsorship

Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada are allowed to sponsor their family members to come to Canada and become Permanent Residents of Canada. There are two main stages of sponsorship process:

  • Sponsor must be eligible of sponsoring a foreign family member
  • Foreign family member should be eligible to immigrate to Canada as a family class member

Family Sponsorship Canada

If all the sponsorship process requirements are met, the Permanent Resident of Canada or Canadian citizen is allowed to sponsor the following categories of family members:

  • Spouse of opposite or same sex
  • Dependent children, including adopted children
  • Common-law partner of opposite same sex
  • Conjugal Partner and dependent children of the conjugal partner
  • Parents (and their dependent children)
  • Grandparents
  • Unmarried brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchildren who are orphans, under the age of 18 and who are not married or in a common law relationship.
  • Another relative, if the sponsor has no living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class.

Spousal, Common-law Partner, and Conjugal Partner Sponsorship

N.B.: Sponsored spouses, common-law partners and conjugal partners, must remain in a relationship with the partner whose sponsoring them at least for two years from the date of conditional permanent resident status is obtained.  This condition is not applicable, if the foreign spouse or conjugal partner:

  • had been married for more than two years, or
  • had been in a conjugal relationship for more than two years, or
  • had children with the sponsor


In order to sponsor a foreign spouse, proper evidence showing valid marriage should be presented. Opposite or same sex marriage that happened outside Canada should be valid both under the laws of the country where the couple married and under the laws of Canada.


A foreign common-law partner should be in a conjugal relationship for more than one year with the sponsor before applying for foreign common-law partner to join him/her in Canada.


If heterosexual or homosexual couples are unable to get married due to some reasons which are beyond anyone’s control, then they would be considered as conjugal partners for immigration purposes. Their relation should meet certain requirements before applying for conjugal partner to immigrate to Canada. The relationship criteria are as follows:

  • they should be in a real conjugal relationship for the past one year
  • they must have a mutual interdependent relationship with a considerable level of attachment

Our professionals at Axis Immigration will help you go through the complex procedures of family sponsorship. Our immigration specialists will help you in every process of immigration to ensure your success. You can rely on us for all your immigration needs in Edmonton.

Talk to our immigration experts and clear all your doubts about Canada immigration.