In order to renew a permanent resident card, you must initially have a PR card. You can also renew it if is it will be expiring soon or if it has been stolen, lost or damaged.
- Must be permanent resident of Canada
- Must be physically present in Canada
- Should not be under an effective removal order
- Should not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian act
- Should not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a permanent resident card
Loss of PR status is not automatic. It requires a determination by an officer. If no officer makes a decision that PR status is lost, then the person is still a permanent resident. This is an important aspect for those who have an expired PR Card and still wish to make an entry to Canada. We do not recommend anyone to remain outside of Canada for too long as this may risk your status and you may be subjected to uncomfortable questioning, and hence may lose your status.
It is important for you to make a proper representation at the border. If not done, you may risk losing your PR status.